Saturday, April 16, 2011

Journal 1 (Stress)

About

Recently I attended a talk organized by Health Promotion Board regarding stress. The speaker is a female doctor, age around 30-40plus and no doubt she is a singaporean due to her accent.

Questions & Answers

Q: what have you learnt from your participation in the talk/activity? state 3 points (personal development, team collaboration, financial, leadership)

- I learnt about how stress come about, eg; examinations, peer pressure, family expectations, relationships, personal expectation and changes in our routine.

- Ways to manage stress, eg; think positive. Think about our past achievements. If one person have high self esteem, it is possible for him to feel motivated. With a positive attitude, even if he fail, he will still able to manage stress.

- A deeper knowledge of the word stress. How bad does stress affect one person. Eg; feel anxious all the time, losing appetite and lose interest in usual activities.

Q: explain how you would apply the learning points in one area of your life. (family, social, work, sudy, relationships)

- One Learning point is that I have to start working hard and preparing even before the exams. This is to help lessen the stress as majority of the people feel stress because they only start preparing when exam is around the corner.

- During my examinations period, I will use the ways taught to manage my stress, so as to prevent myself from getting too stressed out and lose concentration, getting angered easily, having difficulty to sleep at night and difficulty making decisions.

Q: what difference did the event make in relation to you? (in terms of personal development)

- I used to be someone who gets stressed easily by the most easiest tasks. So after attending this talk, I have become a more cheerful person because I have "conquered" stress.

- Eg, The speaker used "John". John always starts to prepare his examination last minute. So he often feels stress, so stress that he could not even concentrate on his studies. One way to prevent this from happening is to prepare early and plan your shedule well.


Q: how will you think or act inthe future as a result of this experience?

- I will constantly think positive when there are negative matters coming in my way. Not forgetting to feel good about myself.

- I will prepare early for my examinations. The day before the exam, have a good rest and sleep early.

- Interact more with people and live a healthy lifestyle.

Q: name an area of learning that you would like to know more about.

- I would like to know more about depression too. It would be great to hear abit about depression so I can look out for people suffering from depression too. Because stress can also lead to depression.

No comments: